Sunday, February 3, 2013

Baked Acorn squash with Indian rice

I haven't posted a vegetarian recipe in quite a while now. I was stumped the night I made this one. I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to make with the ingredients that I had. But then it all came together pretty well. This dish is full of flavor and its very filling. Click "Read More" for the recipe!
Enjoy!


Ingredients:
1 acorn squash
1 cup of basmati rice
1 small head of garlic
1 tbs pumpkin seeds
3 tbs oil (I used sunflower)
1/8 tsp cinnamon x2
1/8 tsp cumin seed
Agave nectar
1/8 tsp cardamom 
1/8 tsp currie
salt to taste

To start, preheat oven to 400. Cut the acorn squash and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Cut length-wise into wedges. In a glass baking pan I tossed together the squash and the oil, making sure they were coated. Loosely wrap the garlic (take the skin off) in aluminum foil and place in the corner of the bake pan. Drizzle the agave nectar all over the squash and add 1/8 tsp cinnamon. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on top of the squash and pop it in the oven. I baked this for about 35 minutes. Turn over the squash mid-way through to bake evenly. once the squash is cooked it is easy to remove the thick skin. 

For the rice, Wash and soak the basmati rice for about 15 minutes. Bring water with rice, seasoned with a drop of oil and salt, to a boil. Turn down the heat and add the cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, and curry to the pot. cook on low heat for 25 minutes.

Viola! enjoy this flavorful dinner!

0 comments:

Post a Comment